I think this is just interesting if you own an LG Speed/Optimus 2X, so don't try this on any other device or you will break it. Also don't try this on the T-Mobile G2X, it's not the same.
I've tried many times to flash my LGO2X but I never got into recovery mode and that was pretty annoying. Finally I done it and flashed it with the modaco's vanilla rom. I found some other instructions, but I wanted to write a whole description ranging from rooting up to the flashing and restoring if you mess everything up.
Let's get started.
- Installing Clock Work Mod
- Rooting your LG2X
- Flashing the latest Modaco Rom
- Restore if you did something wrong.
Note that you do that at your own risk. So I'm not responsible if you do something wrong, but I also post a description that may help you, if you mess something up.
Installing Clock Work Mod
At first download this zip file. CWM 220.127.116.11 - DOWNLOAD MD5: 71f756ec9c945431abcc8fd12b9c6656
Unpack it and connect your device with the usb cable to your pc. Then you have to enable USB-Debugging. Go to your preferences > Applications > Development. There it is. Next step is installing.
WINDOWS - double click 'install-clockworkmod-windows.bat'
MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-clockworkmod-mac.sh' followed by './install-clockworkmod-mac.sh'
LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-clockworkmod-linux.sh' followed by './install-clockworkmod-linux.sh'
It wont take long and you successfully completed the first step. Now how to launch CWM. Shut down your LG and then press Volume Down + Power button. You have to keep the two buttons holding as long as you see "Android" on the screen. If you see S/W Upgrade, don't worry just take out the battery and try it again.
Rooting your LG2X
So ready to root your phone?
There are two ways to root it. One by installing the z4root app or with the SuperOneClick program. I tried it with z4root, but it didn't work. But if you also want to try with the z4root app you can download it here. [download id="1"] Drag it onto your SD card and install it with a file explorer.
If it doesn't work either then download the SuperOneClick. Note that this is just for Windows computers. I'm sorry.
Connect your LG2X to your pc. Usually the drivers should get installed automatically. If not download that. Make sure USB-Debugging is enabled. Unzip the SuperOneClick folder and run it. Make sure that the exploid is set to psneuter and then click "Root". Let it run the test and ... whola you rooted your Optimus 2x.
Other SuperOneClick versions:
Flashing Modaco Rom
There are two types of roms the normal and the vanilla edition.
I recommend the vanilla edition, because the LG packed its version full of unnecessary stuff. For example the music player in the notification bar. Stuff like that just drains the battery.
Fr15 - Vanilla Edition - DOWNLOAD MD5: ea116c7064d5b37df584daddaf971825
Fr15 DOWNLOAD MD5: md5342ab07631bf2fb4d571a4837b21bc9f
While downloading you can make a backup. I like Titanuim Backup. I also recommend to move your files from the internal sdcard to your computer. Like your pictures(DCIM), music(Music) and the TitaniumBackup folder. When the rom is downloaded move it onto your _ExternalSDcard(important) If you done that shutdown your LG and boot into recovery as previously described.
When you are in the recovery menu, select wipe data/factory reset(You have to wipe your device if you come from Stock,Fr3 or earlier. This will format everything). You can control it with the volume buttons and accept the selection with the shutdown button. Next select install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard. Choose the your rom and wait....
When done reboot your brand new flashed LG Optimus2X and be happy :) Don't worry the first boot take a little longer than a usual one. Sign in with your Google account and your contacts should be there again. If you have problems with Market licencing, check your device date!
Restore if you did something wrong.
If you mess something up and your Optimus2X won't boot anymore or you keep stuck in a bootloop this instruction will help you out. Windows only! I'm sorry.
- Grab the NVFlash utility from here: http://djmcnz.batteryboss.org/stuff/NVFlash.zip
- Extract the contents of that archive to a single directory
- Grab the NVidia boot-recovery driver from here: http://djmcnz.batteryboss.org/stuff/nvmobileboot.rar
- Extract the contents of that archive to a different directory
- Power down phone
- Remove battery
- Hold VOL_DWN+VOL_UP & plug in USB connection from computer (note, your phone will not visibly respond but it will boot to APX mode quickly)
- Open Device Manager in Windows and you should see "APX Device" listed with an error
- If not, rinse and repeat
- Right click on the APX device
- Select 'Update driver software'
- Select 'Browse my computer...'
- Select 'Let me pick...'
- Select 'Have disk'
- Browse to directory to extracted the *driver* software to above
- Select 'NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for mobile devices'
- Accept any warnings, including the big red alert (you may need to disable UAC)
- Now in Device Manager under 'USB Controllers' you should have an 'NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for mobile devices'
- If not, uninstall the driver, reboot, rinse and repeat
- Navigate the the directory you extracted the NVFlash archive to
- Run a harmless command such as "nvflash --sync"
- You should get something back like:
Nvflash started rcm version 0X20001 System Information: chip name: unknown chip id: 0x20 major: 1 minor: 3 chip sku: 0xf chip uid: 0x02804181439f7517 macrovision: disabled hdcp: enabled sbk burned: false dk burned: false boot device: emmc operating mode: 3 device config strap: 0 device config fuse: 17 sdram config strap: 0 command failure: no bootloader was specified
If you now can successfully boot you can begin step one "Installing Clock Work Mod" :)